Skip to main content

Betfair 1 Birchy 0

Yet again I have managed to prove that my prediction powers are poor. I thought that in my neutral state of 'supporting football' rather than any particular team that my predictions for the tournament would be super accurate, unclouded by partisan-ship. So confident was I that I had a clever accumulator on the basis that I would get 7 of 8 group winners correct. By the time the third group finished (my first of 6 opportunities to lose the bet) I had lost the bet.

I still have Argentina down to win; and either Giroud (often a sub for France) or Higuain (utterly overshadowed by the brilliant Messi) to be tournament top scorers.

Since I last posted, Greece surprised me completely. Not just by winning their crunch match with Ivory Coast - but by doing so in seemingly cavalier style. They were raining shots in from all distances and seem to have had a genuine shift in style and attitude - one that reflects the overall feel of the tournament; which is that "defences are pretty poor so let's go for it". 

Then onto yesterday's games where France and Ecuador played out a refreshingly dull 0-0 (which allowed me to do something other than focus 100% on footy for once); whilst Switzerland further highlighted my ability to be wrong by dispatching the hapless Honduras.

Which brings me on to today. With two great games in prospect, all eyes focused more on the Suarez verdict - so I was really glad to hear the thud of the book being flung his way. A total ban from all footy until late October, coupled with a 9 game international ban (which will be of indeterminate length, depending on competitive fixtures) means that Suarez will again be able to amass 7 figure sums in wages before kicking a ball in anger next season. Put like that it hardly feels like a punishment, but I presume he will be pretty pissed; and all his team mates will feel like the utter dicks they have been for the past 48-hours with their denials and claims that savagery and cannibalism are part and parcel of the modern game. It's one of the most hate-able parts of football; the 'fair weather morality' that completely dissolves when confronted with a potential competitive disadvantage to ones team.

The tournament, minus the Honduras team and Suarez will certainly lack that murderous edge - but with the football being so brilliant, I don't think it will suffer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arriving late at the far post...........

Well, out from behind a rock I come. Like Batman responding to the spotlight over Gotham, the sight of Alexi Lalas relaxing on ESPN's swanky new World Cup set spouting 'knowledge' of the beautiful game immediately triggered me into action. A personal excitement for me is the returning punditry on this side of the pond of one Roberto Martinez. 4 years ago, I listened to this polite young man with light enthusiasm....now I find myself hanging onto every word from Bobby Brown Shoes. A supremely classy guy, just hoping for the "and Neymar is close to signing, which is phenonemal (Bobby's most used word - quite impressive for a Spanish native) " Sooo, what have I missed so far (Brazil own goal aside).... - Roy Hodgson in old man sunglasses - An amazing lack of planning from team England organizing a friendly in Florida at 5pm in June and being surprised as a thunderstorm - Scapegoating of a key England player (Rooney) before a ball is kicked in anger - Overplay

Never give up (unless you are Brazil)

I'm sat watching the world's most meaningless football match, the World Cup 3rd place playoff - two teams who just want to go home, forced instead to play out a dead rubber. Even the Community Shield had more meaning. This time around, however, we have the morbid excitement and voyeurism of watching Brazil's very public meltdown. They are an object lesson in falling apart once things start to go against them, like the Newcastle of international football. As things stand they are two goals down and there's no chance I'm switching off as they could easily fold and become a laughing stock, just as they could suddenly find form and claw things back. Tomorrow sees the final and a surprising amount of people rooting for Germany, probably because they look the best team by some margin. I'm gunning for Argentina (a) because I'd win £50 if they win (b) because I predicted on this blog that they'd win and (c) because I want to see Messi lift that trophy. He's

Stunning games and goals

Last night's games really lived up to their billing. Brazil and Chile was a great game - both teams going at it, the threat of goals ever-present and the threat of red cards also seemingly high. Chile looked the better team on balance, but the home advantage seemed to lift Brazil and they always carried a threat. The theme of course; one which is endemic across the tournament, is that neither defence looked very strong. In the end, the width of the post denied Chile in the shoot-out, as had the crossbar in the final minute of extra time. A really crappy way to go out of the tournament, but they can be proud of their efforts. Few will be disappointed to see Brazil still in the tournament, as things always go a bit flat once the hosts bow out. I'll also enjoy those anthems carrying on. If anything sums up England's utter failure in big competitions of late, it is the passionless mumblings we do in the anthems, which sets the tone for the game afterwards. The second game o