Skip to main content

Ecuador vs England and Babybel

So the other night England secured a fairly uneventful 3-0 win vs Peru. After the belter from Sturridge we scored 2 further goals from set pieces (proving the worth of having Baines in the side) - but the concern I think was that Peru had a few very dangerous attacks that would surely have seen us conceding against a better striker line-up. We did however avoid the pre-tournament injury nightmare, perhaps saving that for the friendlies immediately prior to the big kick off.

Tonight it is Ecuador against England, from Miami - in front of what looks like a bumper crowd of at least 15 people! Obviously the side has been completely rotated, but the most interesting thing from my point of view is to see Milner lined up as a right back. Having watch Glen Johnson looking generally immobile and out of position against Peru, I wondered whether we might explore Milner as an option. As a Villa fan I've seen a bit of him play, and know he is very versatile and hard working and could definitely do a job there.

Seeing Rooney as the only survivor from the last game suggests a real determination from Hodgson to get him up to speed and match fit. This is good from my perspective; although it is easy to just wish him to be dropped, he remains one of our most accomplished players, so I hope he finds form.

The rest of the team is actually pretty exciting:

Foster, Milner, Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Wilshere, Lampard, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley, Rooney, Lambert

What I see there is two progresive full backs, two average centre halves, a midfield that has a great mix of pace, power, experience and drive, and two decent strikers.

7 mins: England, as if just to prove me full of shit, just let in a goal.

I hope that Barkley, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Milner in particular shine and give themselves a chance of holding onto their places, as I think each of them could make a difference.

29 mins: Scrappy equaliser for England after good work from Oxlade-Chamberlain and Milner. 

So after the first half, its fair to say that the game is infintiely more exciting than Friday's game. Whether that's the line up, the opposition of the tactical set up, god only knows. I think Oxlade-Chamberlain and Barkley make our midfield infinitely more penetrative, and Ecuador seem to not really bother with midfield either, soi I guess that helps.

51 minutes: Barkley does a great mazy run and sets up Lambert for a belting goal.

69 mins: cracking equaliser for Ecuador. Slightly slow marking from Milner and Wilshire, but what a hit. I wonder if they are using the World Cup ball, if so, it fliiiees.

In other news today:

1) I found some World Cup Babybel on sale today which was of course very exciting. I wonder if I will get excited about anything and everything that has some sort of World Cup link?


2) No word from Stevey C yet, so the blog may still be a solo effort. If you know me and want to contribute, then just give me a shout and I''ll get you set up.

 More soon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arriving late at the far post...........

Well, out from behind a rock I come. Like Batman responding to the spotlight over Gotham, the sight of Alexi Lalas relaxing on ESPN's swanky new World Cup set spouting 'knowledge' of the beautiful game immediately triggered me into action. A personal excitement for me is the returning punditry on this side of the pond of one Roberto Martinez. 4 years ago, I listened to this polite young man with light enthusiasm....now I find myself hanging onto every word from Bobby Brown Shoes. A supremely classy guy, just hoping for the "and Neymar is close to signing, which is phenonemal (Bobby's most used word - quite impressive for a Spanish native) " Sooo, what have I missed so far (Brazil own goal aside).... - Roy Hodgson in old man sunglasses - An amazing lack of planning from team England organizing a friendly in Florida at 5pm in June and being surprised as a thunderstorm - Scapegoating of a key England player (Rooney) before a ball is kicked in anger - Overplay

Never give up (unless you are Brazil)

I'm sat watching the world's most meaningless football match, the World Cup 3rd place playoff - two teams who just want to go home, forced instead to play out a dead rubber. Even the Community Shield had more meaning. This time around, however, we have the morbid excitement and voyeurism of watching Brazil's very public meltdown. They are an object lesson in falling apart once things start to go against them, like the Newcastle of international football. As things stand they are two goals down and there's no chance I'm switching off as they could easily fold and become a laughing stock, just as they could suddenly find form and claw things back. Tomorrow sees the final and a surprising amount of people rooting for Germany, probably because they look the best team by some margin. I'm gunning for Argentina (a) because I'd win £50 if they win (b) because I predicted on this blog that they'd win and (c) because I want to see Messi lift that trophy. He's

Stunning games and goals

Last night's games really lived up to their billing. Brazil and Chile was a great game - both teams going at it, the threat of goals ever-present and the threat of red cards also seemingly high. Chile looked the better team on balance, but the home advantage seemed to lift Brazil and they always carried a threat. The theme of course; one which is endemic across the tournament, is that neither defence looked very strong. In the end, the width of the post denied Chile in the shoot-out, as had the crossbar in the final minute of extra time. A really crappy way to go out of the tournament, but they can be proud of their efforts. Few will be disappointed to see Brazil still in the tournament, as things always go a bit flat once the hosts bow out. I'll also enjoy those anthems carrying on. If anything sums up England's utter failure in big competitions of late, it is the passionless mumblings we do in the anthems, which sets the tone for the game afterwards. The second game o