Skip to main content

A competition breaks out

My post this evening comes from, unsurprisingly, in front of the telly. I'm watching football. Whilst that is not entirely surprising, I have actually had a bit of a struggle with it today. I had an office-day. The horror unfolded as I went into a 90 minute meeting with Argentina leading 1-0 and seemingly coasting to victory. They'd got their goal and were cutting through the Saudis with ease, having one or two [correctly] disallowed for offside. I gave myself the pep-talk - "it's fine Birchy, work is work and this is a foregone conclusion anyway. Watch the highlights and grow up a bit". The rest, as they say is history. I saw the drama unfolding with a couple of phone checks, and returned from the meeting to the barrage of WhatsApps, declaring it a fantastic match, a true spectacle and probably one of the greatest upsets in World Cup history. 

I'm fine about it. Really. 

More meetings interrupted the Denmark v Tunisia game - which looked better than the nil-nil score-line suggested so as I rushed home for the Mexico v Poland game I was truly determined to absorb the precious football this Tuesday had denied me. And what a game it was. Atmosphere broke out, with the Mexicans truly bringing it. With Mexico '86 being my first World Cup Panini album and first proper indulgence in the tournament; I've always been fond of them. Again, a really competitive game - which is what I'd been craving at this point yesterday. The draw is both a blessing and a curse for those two teams, as we surely expect the Argies to come back strong, and the Saudi will be bouncing. Its not inconceivable that this point is both teams' last. Lewandowski must feel like Djokovic did when Nadal and Federer were dominant - only without the benefit of winning everything once the other two declined. This is surely his last World Cup and he's yet to hit the net in one. 

So that's 3 well contested games today, to add to Wales and USA last night, which was gripping as well. I thoroughly enjoyed it, from the novelty of realising that Timothy Weah was George's son - the kind of "god I feel old" moment that is now much easier to handle having watched more than a decade of Kasper Schmeichel's career - to the thrill of seeing Bale's equaliser late on, and the blood filled faces of Wales' excellent fans. What that all adds to is an up in tempo for the whole tournament and the promise of meaningful games later on in the group stages.

Footnote - looks like tonight's game is going to re-fill the goals quote for the day! I wonder if France will get past England's total?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arriving late at the far post...........

Well, out from behind a rock I come. Like Batman responding to the spotlight over Gotham, the sight of Alexi Lalas relaxing on ESPN's swanky new World Cup set spouting 'knowledge' of the beautiful game immediately triggered me into action. A personal excitement for me is the returning punditry on this side of the pond of one Roberto Martinez. 4 years ago, I listened to this polite young man with light enthusiasm....now I find myself hanging onto every word from Bobby Brown Shoes. A supremely classy guy, just hoping for the "and Neymar is close to signing, which is phenonemal (Bobby's most used word - quite impressive for a Spanish native) " Sooo, what have I missed so far (Brazil own goal aside).... - Roy Hodgson in old man sunglasses - An amazing lack of planning from team England organizing a friendly in Florida at 5pm in June and being surprised as a thunderstorm - Scapegoating of a key England player (Rooney) before a ball is kicked in anger - Overplay

Stunning games and goals

Last night's games really lived up to their billing. Brazil and Chile was a great game - both teams going at it, the threat of goals ever-present and the threat of red cards also seemingly high. Chile looked the better team on balance, but the home advantage seemed to lift Brazil and they always carried a threat. The theme of course; one which is endemic across the tournament, is that neither defence looked very strong. In the end, the width of the post denied Chile in the shoot-out, as had the crossbar in the final minute of extra time. A really crappy way to go out of the tournament, but they can be proud of their efforts. Few will be disappointed to see Brazil still in the tournament, as things always go a bit flat once the hosts bow out. I'll also enjoy those anthems carrying on. If anything sums up England's utter failure in big competitions of late, it is the passionless mumblings we do in the anthems, which sets the tone for the game afterwards. The second game o

Prediction time

Two great games today - a real South American affair. I really like Chile (and have money on them to get to the semi finals), but I was hoping they'd avoid Brazil at this stage. Almost an England v Germany mental block  - Brazil has beaten them every time they've met in the finals.  Think Chile will score, but a nervy (maybe even needing extra time) Brazil to win 2-1. As for the second game, 2-0 Colombia against the siege mentality of the Uruguayans. Feeling bad for the lunatic who likes to eat people doesn't detract from the fact they were undone by Costa. Rica when last without Chewy Luis. Liking the look of Colombia - could be a cracking quarter final vs Brazil