Skip to main content

Diamonds in the rough

So, where were we? Since I last posted (whilst France recovered from their early setback to maul Australia), I have been assaulted by a mountain of work. 2 consecutive days of back to back video calls for the first 5 hours of the working day would typically have left me very cross indeed about the shocking and unacceptable work/football balance. Luckily though, I seem to have missed the majority of the dross. Basically game after game of nil nil tedium seem to have been played out silently on my tablet whilst I've been doing my very best to be a hard working honest human. 

That first paragraph is all the analysis you'll get from me on Morocco v Croatia (0-0), Uruguay v South Korea (0-0) or Switzerland v Cameroon (1-0).  I'm going to reserve judgement on all 6 of those teams until after the second set of games. 

The games I emerged for seem to have been much better - which does spark a bit of a chicken or egg debate in my mind. Fortuitious? Or was there an imperceptible priority shift in my head, drawing me inexorably to the telly when I could sense drama?

The Germany vs Japan game was something else. From the initial intrigue of their team actually taking some sort of visible stance against the FIFA corruption and general ills of this World Cup, to the German kit (fantastic - Newcastle kit designers take note), to the game itself and the amazing yet subtle shift in dominance from Germany to Japan, leading to that rousing finish and all the pundits shouting about Germany's right back. And what a game it sets up with Spain on Sunday. Real shit or bust stuff for the Mannshaft.

Belgium v Canada last night was a real treat too. I'd assumed I'd be tuning in to a Spain v Costa Rica type affair. One way traffic and no real way of telling how good the winning team actually are - because of the feebleness of opposition - but how wrong I was. Canada were ace. Vibrant, pacey, committed. They took the game to Belgium and were unlucky not to get something from it. Davies taking that penalty certainly shat his pants though.

Portugal against Ghana was god-awful for 60 minutes before coming to life and delivering 30 minutes of mayhem, I'm still a bit cross about it if I'm honest as I'd carefully organised myself to be watching the first 20 mins, racing to collect the kids and get them to swimming (whilst listening on radio), then watching on an iPad whilst they swam before a mirror image setup on the way home. It worked well but the Portuguese messed my plans by scoring the two decisive goals as I walked less than 50m to the car - the ONLY blind-spot of my coverage. Ronaldo made history by scoring at his 5th World Cup too. However much of a prick we think he is, he has done rather well, career wise, so fair play.

I'm going to get back to the telly now, as I expect Brazil will do some things that are worth seeing. If you watch it all, you get to see the diamonds as well as the rough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arriving late at the far post...........

Well, out from behind a rock I come. Like Batman responding to the spotlight over Gotham, the sight of Alexi Lalas relaxing on ESPN's swanky new World Cup set spouting 'knowledge' of the beautiful game immediately triggered me into action. A personal excitement for me is the returning punditry on this side of the pond of one Roberto Martinez. 4 years ago, I listened to this polite young man with light enthusiasm....now I find myself hanging onto every word from Bobby Brown Shoes. A supremely classy guy, just hoping for the "and Neymar is close to signing, which is phenonemal (Bobby's most used word - quite impressive for a Spanish native) " Sooo, what have I missed so far (Brazil own goal aside).... - Roy Hodgson in old man sunglasses - An amazing lack of planning from team England organizing a friendly in Florida at 5pm in June and being surprised as a thunderstorm - Scapegoating of a key England player (Rooney) before a ball is kicked in anger - Overplay

Stunning games and goals

Last night's games really lived up to their billing. Brazil and Chile was a great game - both teams going at it, the threat of goals ever-present and the threat of red cards also seemingly high. Chile looked the better team on balance, but the home advantage seemed to lift Brazil and they always carried a threat. The theme of course; one which is endemic across the tournament, is that neither defence looked very strong. In the end, the width of the post denied Chile in the shoot-out, as had the crossbar in the final minute of extra time. A really crappy way to go out of the tournament, but they can be proud of their efforts. Few will be disappointed to see Brazil still in the tournament, as things always go a bit flat once the hosts bow out. I'll also enjoy those anthems carrying on. If anything sums up England's utter failure in big competitions of late, it is the passionless mumblings we do in the anthems, which sets the tone for the game afterwards. The second game o

Prediction time

Two great games today - a real South American affair. I really like Chile (and have money on them to get to the semi finals), but I was hoping they'd avoid Brazil at this stage. Almost an England v Germany mental block  - Brazil has beaten them every time they've met in the finals.  Think Chile will score, but a nervy (maybe even needing extra time) Brazil to win 2-1. As for the second game, 2-0 Colombia against the siege mentality of the Uruguayans. Feeling bad for the lunatic who likes to eat people doesn't detract from the fact they were undone by Costa. Rica when last without Chewy Luis. Liking the look of Colombia - could be a cracking quarter final vs Brazil