Skip to main content

Recovery suit

 The past 3 days has seen a nation galvanised. A single united purpose. One nation with one voice.

IT'S TOO FUCKING HOTTTTT is what this voice says. 

St George's crosses replaced with marathon runner recovery suits plastered across the nation's windows. Schools closed, public transport in pieces, internet flakey, and every aircon provider in the land laughing evil villain laughs.

It's been a busy week for me, combining childcare with work and a work summer BBQ last night, all that whilst being mainly motivated to lie on the tile floor in my kitchen, the only place that ever dips below 30 degrees. This combined with some awful nighttime scheduling has meant the last couple of days has whizzed past in a bit of a blur. I'll try to round things up. First there was England - 'frustrated by Ghana'. I'd already hit the off switch on the telly before they'd uttered the words "we need to reset our expectations". What I saw was a game we dominated nearly completely for the full 90 minutes. Sure we lacked an edge or a break, but if having 79% possession and 19 shots to our opposition's 2 is the sign of impending doom, then I've misunderstood this sport and the principle of the laws of averages. We will be fine.

Ronaldo woke up, bagging his own brace. Respect to the guy, he simply doesn't give in. I've not looked at the possible knockout round line-ups, but a game against Portugal, how I would not like that. It continues the great unfolding story of the golden boot - something I'm not normally remotely bothered about, I generally see it as an inevitable side-effect of the tournament, but this one feels different. It feels like we have a few teams highly reliant upon their heroes, and playing almost exclusively through them. With Messi on 5, Mbappe and Haaland and Vinicius on 4 the race is very much on. 

But the story of the week is surely South Africa's amazing result in the night; overcoming South Korea to leapfrog from 4th to 2nd in their group, almost certainly giving someone half decent a bye in the round of 32. They've been dreadful, and even in their game last night - where they were afforded a tonne of space, they managed to make heavy weather of good chances, slowing the play down to the point where a one on one became a stumble by a player now surrounded by three markers. But they got their break, and with it destroyed my 'theory of zero jeopardy' for the group phases. Obviously the BBC waited until this moment of total jeopardy to publish their own 'there's no jeopardy' story. Classic.

So tonight, in a pool of my own sweat, I settle down for the Group E deciders; and with Germany having been oh so terribly efficient and sealed the group win already, I will be taking in Curacao v Ivory Coast where another shock might just be in store. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Azteca

 Well, this one has crept up on me hard! I've barely had time to recover from Villa's Europa League win a fortnight ago; distracted all the while with SkySports trying to sell off our squad to The Big Six and reading stories of the thunderstorms and the visa complexities facing fans, players and referees of countries that Trump doesn't like today - and yet now here we are, listening to Gary Neville self reflecting on his own career as a scene setter for the World Cup. This one is a weird one. The expanded format and cruel time-zone scheduling mean that I go into it with no ambitions to 'watch it all'. The group stages are, on paper, almost devoid of any real jeopardy. The bloating of the tournament means there are now more groups than realistic winners, and with that, of course, no groups of death. And to cater for the stupid total number of teams which has to be 8,16,32 or even 64 dammit - just no other actual number; we have the awful spectacle of most  3rd place ...

Geography lessons

 I'm writing this as Cape Verdi's masterplan is 9 minutes in, versus the mighty (but missing some players) Spain. They are the second nation (after Curaçao) that I didn't even know was a nation - and I have a degree in geography. So, let me share my learning. Curaçao, a Caribbean island has been a country in its own right since 2010. Prior to that, its the usual depressing story of European colonisation, abandonment (when the Europeans realised it wasn't stacked full of precious metals), reinvigorated interest (slave trade) and finally a degree of independence.  Cape Verdi on the other hand is a country (Island nation off the west coast of Senegal) that is older than I am, so I feel I should know better in their case. Again it has history of being a European colony and is another epicentre of the slave trade.  With this in mind, the needle matches to look out for later in the tourney are Curaçao vs Netherlands and Cape Verdi vs Portugal. After Curaçao's outing last...

Pacing

 The teams that win this thing tend to pace themselves, or so the narrative goes. By that logic, France will burn fast and burn bright but ultimately fall short. Anyone watching their front four might disagree. My group chat were discussing the relative merits of Henry vs Mbappe last night, with the score at 0-0 vs Sweden. I declared for Henry and then over the course of 30 minutes he proved me emphatically wrong. He is so fast, hits the ball so cleanly, and a new thing at this tournament, actually seems to gel with team-mates. Whether you can do anything but gel with Olise remains to be seen. They certainly seem massively equipped to go all the way. Proper full backs, a dependable goalie, solid CD and CM options and the crazy front four with the likes of Doue and Cherki in reserve.  Another team surely doomed by being too good too soon are Mexico, who are playing with that lovely abandon that hosts usually do. They've been fun and I'm annoyed that all their games have been at...