Skip to main content

Have a word with him

 It's crunch time. And we are involved. The nation is expectant. Scouts is cancelled. The kids can go to school wearing red and white. Whilst this is, of course, a text-book set-up for them to feel the crushing disappointments that the rest of us have endured for, well, our whole lives - this time it IS different. We have a resilience, and to a degree, some humble-ness. The game against Norway was a strange one. We started exactly how I hoped we would, in control, patient, conserving energy. But somewhere along the line it all went weird and we pretty much thrashed around, waiting for Bellingham to do something awesome. I've been really confident about England's chances - I thought we were set up to perform as a sum of our parts, but it hasn't quite clicked properly yet. But there is time, and our game against Argentina is going to be epic I am sure. They, with us, are on the 'scraping by' side of the draw; whilst attention tonight is upon the 'brushing everyone aside' side of the draw. 

Spain and France is a match between the two strongest teams in the tournament; but I am struggling to get excited by Spain. They are so very Pep's Man City when they just passed a lot. Not glamour, just a slow strangulation of the game until the win happens. France of course are just pure showbiz. But with things getting toward a crescendo, I might have to side with the ones who I think we could beat; so, Go Spain! It is hard however to look past France. They are such a complete squad. Competent keeper and full backs, solid centre halves, DMs that do their job right - all of which lay the foundation for their front 4, whichever 4 they select to wreak havoc. I can't see any result but France.

As for us. We've a great chance. Argentina are nowhere near as formidable as last time out, but worryingly are finding a bit of form, and of course have the FIFA machine pulling strings too.  It will all come down to the midfield. If Rice is playing whilst being fundamentally unwell or injured (a trap I didn't think Tuchel would fall into), or if Argentina's midfield purrs like it has threatened to in parts, then we will be up against it. But; and you heard it here first; I think we will be fine. There's some big performances to come from forward players not named Kane or Bellingham, and tomorrow night we will see it. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Azteca

 Well, this one has crept up on me hard! I've barely had time to recover from Villa's Europa League win a fortnight ago; distracted all the while with SkySports trying to sell off our squad to The Big Six and reading stories of the thunderstorms and the visa complexities facing fans, players and referees of countries that Trump doesn't like today - and yet now here we are, listening to Gary Neville self reflecting on his own career as a scene setter for the World Cup. This one is a weird one. The expanded format and cruel time-zone scheduling mean that I go into it with no ambitions to 'watch it all'. The group stages are, on paper, almost devoid of any real jeopardy. The bloating of the tournament means there are now more groups than realistic winners, and with that, of course, no groups of death. And to cater for the stupid total number of teams which has to be 8,16,32 or even 64 dammit - just no other actual number; we have the awful spectacle of most  3rd place ...

Geography lessons

 I'm writing this as Cape Verdi's masterplan is 9 minutes in, versus the mighty (but missing some players) Spain. They are the second nation (after Curaçao) that I didn't even know was a nation - and I have a degree in geography. So, let me share my learning. Curaçao, a Caribbean island has been a country in its own right since 2010. Prior to that, its the usual depressing story of European colonisation, abandonment (when the Europeans realised it wasn't stacked full of precious metals), reinvigorated interest (slave trade) and finally a degree of independence.  Cape Verdi on the other hand is a country (Island nation off the west coast of Senegal) that is older than I am, so I feel I should know better in their case. Again it has history of being a European colony and is another epicentre of the slave trade.  With this in mind, the needle matches to look out for later in the tourney are Curaçao vs Netherlands and Cape Verdi vs Portugal. After Curaçao's outing last...

Pacing

 The teams that win this thing tend to pace themselves, or so the narrative goes. By that logic, France will burn fast and burn bright but ultimately fall short. Anyone watching their front four might disagree. My group chat were discussing the relative merits of Henry vs Mbappe last night, with the score at 0-0 vs Sweden. I declared for Henry and then over the course of 30 minutes he proved me emphatically wrong. He is so fast, hits the ball so cleanly, and a new thing at this tournament, actually seems to gel with team-mates. Whether you can do anything but gel with Olise remains to be seen. They certainly seem massively equipped to go all the way. Proper full backs, a dependable goalie, solid CD and CM options and the crazy front four with the likes of Doue and Cherki in reserve.  Another team surely doomed by being too good too soon are Mexico, who are playing with that lovely abandon that hosts usually do. They've been fun and I'm annoyed that all their games have been at...