Skip to main content

I learned 2 things today

The world cup has been an educational experience for me. In the last 24 hours I learned two valuable things:

1) I can play the vuvuzela! Yes, I am now in possession of a green 2ft long vuvuzela and to the annoyance of neighbours and wife have been joining in the incessant droning from the comfort of my lounge. They actually seem to have a much depper tone individually than it seems on the telly (unless I have a bass version, or a particular Barry White style)

2) I can now boot up my V+ Box in 'engineers mode' and fix terminal errors, a lesson born out of necessaity when the box fatally crashed at 7:30pm last night, thus leaving me in total meltdown in terms of watching back Japan vs Cameroon and simultaneously recording Italy vs Paraguay. Forty three minutes of furious rebooting, huffing, rebooting again before finally looking up hacks on the internet and rebooting with mystery button-holds and presses to launch engineers mode and resolve the faults. The wife was impressed/relieved as she could see a temper meltdown brewing if I'd missed everything. as it happened I missed only the first half of what looked like an unrelentingly boring match. Luckily it picked up in the second half, and I lumbered off to bed at midnight.

In other results yesterday, Holland won without looking that great (lacked attacking spark). Cameroon were disappointing and Japan spirited.

Today sees both Portugal and Brazil kick off. Also North Korea, and I couldn't resist a flutter at 6-1 that they'd have a player sent off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Azteca

 Well, this one has crept up on me hard! I've barely had time to recover from Villa's Europa League win a fortnight ago; distracted all the while with SkySports trying to sell off our squad to The Big Six and reading stories of the thunderstorms and the visa complexities facing fans, players and referees of countries that Trump doesn't like today - and yet now here we are, listening to Gary Neville self reflecting on his own career as a scene setter for the World Cup. This one is a weird one. The expanded format and cruel time-zone scheduling mean that I go into it with no ambitions to 'watch it all'. The group stages are, on paper, almost devoid of any real jeopardy. The bloating of the tournament means there are now more groups than realistic winners, and with that, of course, no groups of death. And to cater for the stupid total number of teams which has to be 8,16,32 or even 64 dammit - just no other actual number; we have the awful spectacle of most  3rd place ...

Geography lessons

 I'm writing this as Cape Verdi's masterplan is 9 minutes in, versus the mighty (but missing some players) Spain. They are the second nation (after Curaçao) that I didn't even know was a nation - and I have a degree in geography. So, let me share my learning. Curaçao, a Caribbean island has been a country in its own right since 2010. Prior to that, its the usual depressing story of European colonisation, abandonment (when the Europeans realised it wasn't stacked full of precious metals), reinvigorated interest (slave trade) and finally a degree of independence.  Cape Verdi on the other hand is a country (Island nation off the west coast of Senegal) that is older than I am, so I feel I should know better in their case. Again it has history of being a European colony and is another epicentre of the slave trade.  With this in mind, the needle matches to look out for later in the tourney are Curaçao vs Netherlands and Cape Verdi vs Portugal. After Curaçao's outing last...

Pacing

 The teams that win this thing tend to pace themselves, or so the narrative goes. By that logic, France will burn fast and burn bright but ultimately fall short. Anyone watching their front four might disagree. My group chat were discussing the relative merits of Henry vs Mbappe last night, with the score at 0-0 vs Sweden. I declared for Henry and then over the course of 30 minutes he proved me emphatically wrong. He is so fast, hits the ball so cleanly, and a new thing at this tournament, actually seems to gel with team-mates. Whether you can do anything but gel with Olise remains to be seen. They certainly seem massively equipped to go all the way. Proper full backs, a dependable goalie, solid CD and CM options and the crazy front four with the likes of Doue and Cherki in reserve.  Another team surely doomed by being too good too soon are Mexico, who are playing with that lovely abandon that hosts usually do. They've been fun and I'm annoyed that all their games have been at...