Skip to main content

Extra time

Think you're right Birchy, fatigue is starting to set in on the blogosphere... which by no means correlates to my enjoyment of the world cup - far from it. I thought the quarters were all great:

  • Holland v Brazil: A frantic match and amazing eye opener as the greatest team on earth imploded the minute they conceded a freak goal. They say dogs look like their owners, and this Brazil team quickly mimicked their emotional jack in a box coach, completely lost the plot and lost their place in the tournament. Someone made Robinho wear a Man City shirt under his Brazil jersey in the second half also.
  • Uruguay v Ghana: There's not a single player who would have not done exactly what Suarez did in this game. However, I'm just glad the media didn't pick up on the fact that my hard earned cash was on Uruguay being eliminated at the quarter final stage (yes, I had thought it would be England beating them at this stage.... hmm), as this clearly was the final burden for Ghana that they couldn't shake. Ghana did well, and great to see the SA fans really get behind them.
  • Germany v Argentina: Maradonameter 1/10. No histrionics, no tantrums, no ball juggling. And actually, no coaching either. The man forgot he was in charge and thought he was in the stands cheering the team on.....and there was little to cheer. Highlight of the performance was Sergio Aguero (sp) keying himself up for getting onto the pitch for the biggest game of his career, likely visualising scoring the 2 goals needed to get his team back in the game.... only to be bear hugged in grief by the little one, who may or may not have been in tears of sorrow, as the Germans extended their lead. Not quite the Obama "Yes we can!" motivational encouragement! Oh, and yes, the Germans look like the best team at a finals for several years.... their only question mark is can they keep it up against Spain. They do however look like they're going to make my life miserable every two years for the next decade....
  • Spain v Paraguay: As expected, although I thought Paraguay were tactically very good - but clearly limited. Spain did just enough, although Casillas is looking dodgy to me so far... intriguing semi final set up

Ok, that's me caught up. Only 3 games (excluding the 3rd place game) to go.....

Final thought..... we have Ruud Gullit as a panellist on ESPN in the US. He was beside himself after the Brazil game.... I'm hoping ESPN show highlights of his hotel room after party...I suspect it was a long one....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Azteca

 Well, this one has crept up on me hard! I've barely had time to recover from Villa's Europa League win a fortnight ago; distracted all the while with SkySports trying to sell off our squad to The Big Six and reading stories of the thunderstorms and the visa complexities facing fans, players and referees of countries that Trump doesn't like today - and yet now here we are, listening to Gary Neville self reflecting on his own career as a scene setter for the World Cup. This one is a weird one. The expanded format and cruel time-zone scheduling mean that I go into it with no ambitions to 'watch it all'. The group stages are, on paper, almost devoid of any real jeopardy. The bloating of the tournament means there are now more groups than realistic winners, and with that, of course, no groups of death. And to cater for the stupid total number of teams which has to be 8,16,32 or even 64 dammit - just no other actual number; we have the awful spectacle of most  3rd place ...

Geography lessons

 I'm writing this as Cape Verdi's masterplan is 9 minutes in, versus the mighty (but missing some players) Spain. They are the second nation (after Curaçao) that I didn't even know was a nation - and I have a degree in geography. So, let me share my learning. Curaçao, a Caribbean island has been a country in its own right since 2010. Prior to that, its the usual depressing story of European colonisation, abandonment (when the Europeans realised it wasn't stacked full of precious metals), reinvigorated interest (slave trade) and finally a degree of independence.  Cape Verdi on the other hand is a country (Island nation off the west coast of Senegal) that is older than I am, so I feel I should know better in their case. Again it has history of being a European colony and is another epicentre of the slave trade.  With this in mind, the needle matches to look out for later in the tourney are Curaçao vs Netherlands and Cape Verdi vs Portugal. After Curaçao's outing last...

Pacing

 The teams that win this thing tend to pace themselves, or so the narrative goes. By that logic, France will burn fast and burn bright but ultimately fall short. Anyone watching their front four might disagree. My group chat were discussing the relative merits of Henry vs Mbappe last night, with the score at 0-0 vs Sweden. I declared for Henry and then over the course of 30 minutes he proved me emphatically wrong. He is so fast, hits the ball so cleanly, and a new thing at this tournament, actually seems to gel with team-mates. Whether you can do anything but gel with Olise remains to be seen. They certainly seem massively equipped to go all the way. Proper full backs, a dependable goalie, solid CD and CM options and the crazy front four with the likes of Doue and Cherki in reserve.  Another team surely doomed by being too good too soon are Mexico, who are playing with that lovely abandon that hosts usually do. They've been fun and I'm annoyed that all their games have been at...