Skip to main content

3 bites and you're out

Not much difference in the reports and reaction over here Birchy. Just sheer disbelief at the fact he's done it again. I also am still rolling back the years playing (high level) suburban over 30's "soccer" and we have two blokes from Uruguay on the team. Apart from being a great opportunity to make the obvious jokes as we got started in our game, I was able to gauge the mood of the natives which was no different to the masses, and it was clearly something for them that completely took the shine away from qualifying through the "difficult"group....

However, being on a bit of a delay, I now know we should have waited for the official Uruguay response before jumping to conclusions.....

Turns out, we had it wrong - today we had claims of photoshopped teeth marks (not sure how you do that with live video feed, but hey, I'm no expert ); "an inconsequential event" according to the skipper and a simple global media witch hunt for everyone's favourite pantomime villain.... 

So as we wait to see the size of cajones at FIFA as they assess the ban (6 games?? ), I leave you with one (entirely unsubstantiated heard on ESPN radio) fact from the game..... The ref in the game was a Mexican named Marco Rodríguez, whose nickname is Dracula because of his resemblance to a version of that character on Mexican TV ......brilliant!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Azteca

 Well, this one has crept up on me hard! I've barely had time to recover from Villa's Europa League win a fortnight ago; distracted all the while with SkySports trying to sell off our squad to The Big Six and reading stories of the thunderstorms and the visa complexities facing fans, players and referees of countries that Trump doesn't like today - and yet now here we are, listening to Gary Neville self reflecting on his own career as a scene setter for the World Cup. This one is a weird one. The expanded format and cruel time-zone scheduling mean that I go into it with no ambitions to 'watch it all'. The group stages are, on paper, almost devoid of any real jeopardy. The bloating of the tournament means there are now more groups than realistic winners, and with that, of course, no groups of death. And to cater for the stupid total number of teams which has to be 8,16,32 or even 64 dammit - just no other actual number; we have the awful spectacle of most  3rd place ...

Geography lessons

 I'm writing this as Cape Verdi's masterplan is 9 minutes in, versus the mighty (but missing some players) Spain. They are the second nation (after Curaçao) that I didn't even know was a nation - and I have a degree in geography. So, let me share my learning. Curaçao, a Caribbean island has been a country in its own right since 2010. Prior to that, its the usual depressing story of European colonisation, abandonment (when the Europeans realised it wasn't stacked full of precious metals), reinvigorated interest (slave trade) and finally a degree of independence.  Cape Verdi on the other hand is a country (Island nation off the west coast of Senegal) that is older than I am, so I feel I should know better in their case. Again it has history of being a European colony and is another epicentre of the slave trade.  With this in mind, the needle matches to look out for later in the tourney are Curaçao vs Netherlands and Cape Verdi vs Portugal. After Curaçao's outing last...

Pacing

 The teams that win this thing tend to pace themselves, or so the narrative goes. By that logic, France will burn fast and burn bright but ultimately fall short. Anyone watching their front four might disagree. My group chat were discussing the relative merits of Henry vs Mbappe last night, with the score at 0-0 vs Sweden. I declared for Henry and then over the course of 30 minutes he proved me emphatically wrong. He is so fast, hits the ball so cleanly, and a new thing at this tournament, actually seems to gel with team-mates. Whether you can do anything but gel with Olise remains to be seen. They certainly seem massively equipped to go all the way. Proper full backs, a dependable goalie, solid CD and CM options and the crazy front four with the likes of Doue and Cherki in reserve.  Another team surely doomed by being too good too soon are Mexico, who are playing with that lovely abandon that hosts usually do. They've been fun and I'm annoyed that all their games have been at...