Skip to main content

As tight as Southgate's waistcoat

Whilst we mostly expected Sweden and Switzerland to claw their way, in a battle of attrition, through their round of 16 tie, I don't think even the most damaged England fans really expected the 2.5 hours of utter torture that ensued last night.

With Sweden the prize for progression to the Quarters, England and Columbia faced off last night, in a game I expected to be quite flowing and fun. How very wrong I was. After a bright start, with England bossing possession and looking generally threatening from set pieces, Jose Peckerman seemed to make a "99 call" and all hell broke loose.

Refereeing leniency hit an all time high as Barios first got away with his double headbutt on Henderson and then later managed to do a two-footed stamp with no recourse. Falcao was at his angsty best, and tempers boiled over all over the place. In years gone by Scholes, Beckham, Gerard would all have lost their heads and places on the pitch, but the becalmed England team took it in their stride and have come through without a rash of suspensions for the next match. It seems odd that any team would actually expect such a physically inert collection of players (Sterling, Lingard, Alli are hardly fighters, despite Alli's faux-aura of being nasty - and so we missed out on what otherwise might have been an absolute blood-bath of a game).

Kane slapped in yet another penalty, which amazed me, it must be so hard having to take any more than one penalty with any conviction during a tournament. Still, our Harry keeps dousing himself in pheromones each game, with the resultant defender humpage that seems to now happen at every set piece -and its yielding results. "Taking one for the team" has hit new heights. Even the crushing equaliser didn;t leave me too worried as I'd not seen enough to think we'd lose.

It only really dawned on me after 110 minutes that we've let the game evolve from one we were bossing almost entirely, via an hour of staccato nonsense to one where we looked identical to England we've all seen at tournaments for 20+ years now, low on confidence, tired, and stumbling abjectly towards certain elimination. As Henderson stepped up I just knew that it was over. The pen was saved and I answered affirmatively to Mrs Birchy's assertion that "that's it isn't it, we're going to lose on penalties". 

The next few minutes panned out, and all of a sudden the large dose of the same old nervous tournament wreckage became the new dawn of English football. One thing is for sure, we have the look of one of those teams who is progressing without impressing, and often that is a winning formula; we just need to pull a performance out of the bag at the right time and it could, just maybe, be coming home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Azteca

 Well, this one has crept up on me hard! I've barely had time to recover from Villa's Europa League win a fortnight ago; distracted all the while with SkySports trying to sell off our squad to The Big Six and reading stories of the thunderstorms and the visa complexities facing fans, players and referees of countries that Trump doesn't like today - and yet now here we are, listening to Gary Neville self reflecting on his own career as a scene setter for the World Cup. This one is a weird one. The expanded format and cruel time-zone scheduling mean that I go into it with no ambitions to 'watch it all'. The group stages are, on paper, almost devoid of any real jeopardy. The bloating of the tournament means there are now more groups than realistic winners, and with that, of course, no groups of death. And to cater for the stupid total number of teams which has to be 8,16,32 or even 64 dammit - just no other actual number; we have the awful spectacle of most  3rd place ...

Geography lessons

 I'm writing this as Cape Verdi's masterplan is 9 minutes in, versus the mighty (but missing some players) Spain. They are the second nation (after Curaçao) that I didn't even know was a nation - and I have a degree in geography. So, let me share my learning. Curaçao, a Caribbean island has been a country in its own right since 2010. Prior to that, its the usual depressing story of European colonisation, abandonment (when the Europeans realised it wasn't stacked full of precious metals), reinvigorated interest (slave trade) and finally a degree of independence.  Cape Verdi on the other hand is a country (Island nation off the west coast of Senegal) that is older than I am, so I feel I should know better in their case. Again it has history of being a European colony and is another epicentre of the slave trade.  With this in mind, the needle matches to look out for later in the tourney are Curaçao vs Netherlands and Cape Verdi vs Portugal. After Curaçao's outing last...

Pacing

 The teams that win this thing tend to pace themselves, or so the narrative goes. By that logic, France will burn fast and burn bright but ultimately fall short. Anyone watching their front four might disagree. My group chat were discussing the relative merits of Henry vs Mbappe last night, with the score at 0-0 vs Sweden. I declared for Henry and then over the course of 30 minutes he proved me emphatically wrong. He is so fast, hits the ball so cleanly, and a new thing at this tournament, actually seems to gel with team-mates. Whether you can do anything but gel with Olise remains to be seen. They certainly seem massively equipped to go all the way. Proper full backs, a dependable goalie, solid CD and CM options and the crazy front four with the likes of Doue and Cherki in reserve.  Another team surely doomed by being too good too soon are Mexico, who are playing with that lovely abandon that hosts usually do. They've been fun and I'm annoyed that all their games have been at...